Sunday, April 28, 2013

AUSTRALIA -- 1,000 TO 3,000 INDIVIDUALS ORIGINALLY LANDED SOME 50,000 YEARS AGO

Australia's colonization may have been an organized affair rather than an accident, a new analysis suggests. Some 50,000 years ago, aboriginal human settlers arrived on the continent, but how many people it took to found Australia's population is unknown. The new study, published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, suggests that about 1,000 to 3,000 individuals originally landed on Australia's shores.

"This is largely speculative, but I think this suggests something more than accidental colonization by a small group on a raft of vegetation or other unplanned voyage," study researcher Alan Williams, a doctoral candidate at The Australian National University, wrote in an email. "For me, this suggests a deliberate attempt at exploration (if not migration) more akin to those we see in the recent past from Hawaii and other Pacific islands."






1 Comments:

Blogger Peni R. Griffin said...

It would be difficult for me to convey how awesome I find this.

See, I've had this idea for years that Australia was founded by a cult following a charismatic leader with a vision that led them over the horizon in innovative boat technology; and then a storm wrecked half the fleet including the leader and his successor wasn't nearly as competent and there was conflict between the factions that wanted to give up and sail home and those who decided the boat technology was evil and should be forgotten...Why, yes, I do write fiction, not science or history but don't tell me real life is never that dramatic. 'Cause I read both and I know better!

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home